In April of 1898, Willem de Wit opened a small blacksmith factory in his hometown. As the local blacksmith, he shod horses, repaired kettles, sold bicycles, and carried out all the typical duties of a village blacksmith. Over the years, Willem shared his craft with his two sons, Derk and Tinus, and around the middle of the 20th century he passed the thriving shop onto them. Soon after, the business expanded by distributing spades and hoes to farmers all across Holland. The de Wit brothers quickly established themselves as the purveyor of the highest quality garden tools, forged from the best steel and formed by skilled hands.